Central Virginia Regional Library
POSITION TITLE: BUSINESS MANAGER
REPORTS TO: LIBRARY DIRECTOR
This position is open until filled with preference given to applications received before 5:00 p.m. Monday, October 21, 2019.
This part-time position (24 hours per week) pays $17.00 per hour. The office for this position is in the Farmville Branch.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the direct supervision of the Library Director, serves as the library’s Business Manager. Maintains accurate records of library budget and expenditures, prepares reports for Director and others; advises on budget matters, monitors and meets all deadlines, and retains records in accordance with state and local requirements. Maintains library staff time and leave records.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The list that follows is not intended to be a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional tasks related to the position.
• Follows procedures and regulations mandated by local, state, and federal agencies.
• Requests checks and reports from the library’s accountant.
• Maintains records of all monies received, and expended on Excel spreadsheets.
• Prepares and maintains records for all library employee time and attendance and submits payroll requests to the library’s accountant.
• Compares and reconciles monthly financial reports with the library’s accountant statements.
• Monitors line-item expenditures and balances and reports relevant information to the Director.
• Prepares financial statements and statistical reports that are required by the Director, Board of Trustees, and local, state, and federal agencies.
• Prepares relevant budget sections of annual Bibliostat reports as required by state and federal officials.
• Assists Director as requested by providing information for the preparation of local and state aid budgets.
• Serves as a liaison between the library system and vendors plus local and state government staff and officials as requested by the Library Director.
• Assists patrons with circulation at front desk when needed; checks books and other materials in and out, collects fines and fees; makes copies; issues library cards; assists in locating materials; accepts and fills patron requests for materials.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High school Diploma or equivalent. Associate’s degree or a combination of education and experience equivalent to an associate’s degree in accounting or a related field is preferred. Three years of relevant work experience; experience that includes bookkeeping is preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Extensive knowledge of general office, accounting, and bookkeeping practices and procedures and computer programs related to the same; specifically Microsoft Office and especially Excel. Thorough knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and ability to design and update spreadsheets using formulas. Thorough skill in the application of accounting principles to the development and maintenance of fiscal and accounting records. Ability to analyze and organize accounting and fiscal data for reports. Ability to maintain accurate records and complete accurate reports. Ability to compose appropriate business communications. Ability to complete assigned projects in a thorough, accurate, and timely manner. Ability to closely monitor and meet both internal and external deadlines. Ability to organize and prioritize the duties of the position and efficiently complete the responsibilities of the job. Good judgement and sound decision-making skills. Ability to acquire knowledge of the library’s policies and procedures and carry them out. Skill in the use of standard office equipment. Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgement. Ability to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to work independently or as part of a team. Ability to work with a diverse population. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff and Board, local and State government staff, vendors, and others.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Only online applications will be considered. Qualified applicants should submit a letter of application, a detailed resume, and contact information for three references to Rick Ewing, Director, at email@example.com. Open until filled with preference given to applications received before 5:00 p.m. Monday, October 21, 2019.